May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

First shortage.

93 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Turns out I have to head to the big city Friday....Need supplies from home depot, I will stick my head in the grocery stores just for a look see, I wont be buying anything, I expect it to be a zoo.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow, the food for less parking lot was full, and this was at 3 pm, people were not off work yet. No TP, no beans, and I mean none, No noodles, no spaghetti, no macaroni No rice at all, caned goods mostly bought out, staff run off their feet, the meat section was well picked over. I would not want to be there once work gets out. Everyone still well enough behaved but you could tell they were on a mission. Only saw one person with a mask.

One bright spot was a station with gas at 78 cents.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Mrs HP’s report of Walmart today from going with the intent of doing the normal weekly grocery.

No beans or pasta, few meat selection, no carrots...

Obviously no cleaning products not TP.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My prediction of the next shortage...

I am already ahead on this. Tylenol, old mans best friend.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wally World was a hoot today. Images of empty shelves we have all seen. But the onthat drew my attention to was in women’s shampoo section. Was passing but on way to garden section and empty shelves made me stop and look. It was bath salts, bath foams etc tat was all gone. Cracked up laughing but hey, it makes sense ( yes proving she has been, tuna... and ten thousand rounds of 22 ammo

In our family, we do appreciate calming soaks in the tub. The ladies and I can haul logs, pull rocks out, burn brush, shoot the eye out of a fly at a thousand yards with open sight on an old 22 😆 😆 . but a good soak at the end of the day is also a fun treat
Screw it, part on baby

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just checked with my supplier of LiFePo4, the 100 amphr and up sizes....he is running out of stock, many things on backorder, no idea of when he will receive stock, but he said when it does come in it will be at 10- 15% higher pricing and its all spoken for.
I want more of this type of battery for my system but was hoping to wait until fall, I just may pull the trigger and buy now, from what sizes he does have in stock. Checked other suppliers and their prices are already creeping up on what they have stock of. I cant go back to lead acid after using these.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just checked with my supplier of LiFePo4, the 100 amphr and up sizes....he is running out of stock, many things on backorder, no idea of when he will receive stock, but he said when it does come in it will be at 10- 15% higher pricing and its all spoken for.
I want more of this type of battery for my system but was hoping to wait until fall, I just may pull the trigger and buy now, from what sizes he does have in stock. Checked other suppliers and their prices are already creeping up on what they have stock of. I cant go back to lead acid after using these.

If you can afford it, go for it. You want what you want because you know it works and is worth it. IF we can afford it, we all should really try and spring for the better piece of equipment

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I just sent a message to do up a invoice. I hate spending the cash in these fast changing times but I am good for life then, I will never have to buy a battery again or revisit this issue.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Well, its hitting hard in Ottawa and area now.. so many reports of empty shelves.. no meat, no canned goods, almost no pasta, no frozen veggies or fruit of any kind..

But you know what sits there.. just sits there.. all the open air fruit and veggies in their bins.. bagged apples and such moves.. but anything that can be sneezed on, coughed on, touched, picked up and put down.. all there..

And I just saw my first posting on the "moving out" see when we had the tornado's come though Ottawa, the city kept directly people from the city to outer smaller towns in a ever widening circle and depleted out the smaller stores.

Today, today was the first time I saw that a few times.. people in the city posting empty shelves and friends saying. we still have a good amount in X small town.. and then people commenting.. great.. I will make the drive out to go shopping.. sigh.. I knew it was going to come but not happy to see it.

The second thing that I can't find right now despite looking for it in a number of places is seed starting soil.. 2 weeks ago, it was everywhere, and I did pick up a good amount and I had bought some on sale last year in clearance but when I went back.. all gone.. no idea when more coming in..

Cleared out all the places I have been looking for it.. potting soil left yes.. seed starting nope!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hadn’t heard about the ottawa tornado effect. Yes that is extremely sad to hear. The country stores pull in from some good distances, so even smaller towns will really feel the pinch.

Other sad thing is, country folks aren’t as aggressive and will be out gunned by those city slickers. Sounds funny but huge cultural differences/ approach to life.

Sadly, I can’t see some form of rationing, not kicking in by end of next week.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, its hitting hard in Ottawa and area now.. so many reports of empty shelves.. no meat, no canned goods, almost no pasta, no frozen veggies or fruit of any kind..

But you know what sits there.. just sits there.. all the open air fruit and veggies in their bins.. bagged apples and such moves.. but anything that can be sneezed on, coughed on, touched, picked up and put down.. all there..

That makes since, I noticed the same thing, the fruit and vegetable bins full while everything else picked over but I did not realise why until your post.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Hadn’t heard about the ottawa tornado effect. Yes that is extremely sad to hear. The country stores pull in from some good distances, so even smaller towns will really feel the pinch.

Other sad thing is, country folks aren’t as aggressive and will be out gunned by those city slickers. Sounds funny but huge cultural differences/ approach to life.

Sadly, I can’t see some form of rationing, not kicking in by end of next week.

Since stores are putting limits on certain high volume products, in a way, rationing has already started.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

agreed, our local stores have signs up on many things.. limit of 1 or 2 bread per family etc.. spreads it out yes.. good for making sure everyone gets some very bad because makes people come out more often..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member

Noticed all the canned red meat was gone from the grocery store two weeks ago. No corned beef or Spam to be had, lots of sea creatures though.
I started some potatoes in buckets of potting soil in a west-facing window, about a month ago, and they are going surprisingly well. I have a new respect for their resilience, am hoping they produce well.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I did suggest to everyone to think about making or stocking up on liquor, now closures are starting in some provinces.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6704088/liquor-store-coronavirus-epidemiologist/

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/fsin-wants-province-to-close-liquor-stores-to-prevent-spread-of-covid-19-1.4858198

It would be impossible to enjoy the pandemic if not for beer, I will be bottling tonight!

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network