April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Peak Oil or Peak Demand

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No doubt folks in Alberta will have some views on this : will we actually have a Peak Supply or perhaps a Peak Demand ?

Didn't someone in Saudi say : the Stone Age did not end because we ran out of Stones ?

How can we source and use carbon energy post SHTF / TEOTWAWKI ?

Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

How do we source carbon in the future? Are you kidding? Have you ever sat at a camp fire?

We have been running a carbon based economy for as long as we have been making tools and living with fire. Unless I missed the news article declaring the discovery of cold fusion, I suspect we will be reliant on carbon based energy for some time to come.

The world has "ended as I knew it" several times now in my short time here and yet the house was still heated in the winter. You will have to be a little more specific about what you mean by TEOTWAWKI. I suspect that this topic has become redundant with the discovery of Shale gas and oil technologies.

Antsy

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Agreed, carbon in terms of wood & coal - since the dawn of fire. That will remain accessible (geography permitting).

But beyond that, I don't see how - without some form of organised society - it'll be possible to access either oil or gas supplies.

I would consider Venezuela as a good example of something going over a cliff.

Largest oil reserves in the world and they have fuel shortages.

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

Agreed, carbon in terms of wood & coal - since the dawn of fire. That will remain accessible (geography permitting).

But beyond that, I don't see how - without some form of organised society - it'll be possible to access either oil or gas supplies.

I would consider Venezuela as a good example of something going over a cliff.

Largest oil reserves in the world and they have fuel shortages.

Thankfully, the common folk in Venezuela don't require heating in their homes. I wonder how they generate electricity though?
Beyond that though, you refer to ,"some form of organized society" for the continued production of oil and gas. It's my opinion that we can't help ourselves as a species but to "organize". If you have spent your entire life working oil and gas, why wouldn't you keep doing just that? There would obviously be a demand... This is not to say that things don't go to shit at various places though out the world and that it couldn't happen here. Just that it wouldn't be the End Times for ours truly. (I personally wouldn't mind if the tree hugging hippies of BC had to heat their homes though an entire winter by spitting cords!) So the original question remains the same; what are you thinking when you write TEOTWAWKI?

Antsy

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

(I personally wouldn't mind if the tree hugging hippies of BC had to heat their homes though an entire winter by spitting cords!)

πŸ˜†

Now that would be a sight !

What I find the most ludicrous thing is (a) they want more electric cars but (b) don't want Site C.

Somewhere along the lines they are not connecting the dots.

So the original question remains the same; what are you thinking when you write TEOTWAWKI?

What am I thinking of ?

The following possibilities for full TEOTWAWKI :

1. World War, something very destructive : what would trigger it ? U.S. vs. N.K. or say Iran, and then it just spirals off from there.

2. Full grid down, no electricity due to : a. EMP, b. CME or c. Cyber attack

3. Global Pandemic, say : the drug resistant Pneumonia that is popping up in China right now

But, perhaps no so dramatic, something akin to what is happening in Venezuela. One day the debt bubble bursts and the economy + society just go into meltdown.

No wide scale destruction, just a continued spiral downwards.

How would you see it ?

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network